ScHoolboy Q’s “BLUE LIPS” Review

ScHoolboy Q’s “BLUE LIPS” Review
Wikipedia

Album rating: 8.22 / 10

Best song: “THank god 4 me”

Worst song: “Back n Love”

ScHoolboy Q’s new album “BLUE LIPS” showcases Q’s superb lyricism with concise verses which make his whole album a masterpiece.

ScHoolboy Q dropped “BLUE LIPS” on the first of March this year. This is Q’s sixth studio album and his most recent album since releasing “CrasH Talk” on April 26, 2019. 

The West Coast hip-hop artist released “Yeern 101” as a single on February 15, 2024, just a couple weeks before releasing this album. The album features 18 songs and has a playtime of 56 minutes. Artists on this album include Rico Nasty, Devin Malik, Ab-Soul, Freddie Gibbs and more. Q is signed with Interscope Records with artists like J. Cole, Eminem, Dr. Dre and Kendrick Lamar.

“BLUE LIPS” begins with the song “Funny Guy” which is a very relaxing song with a semi-uplifting mood. The song transitions perfectly into the next song on the album, “Pop”, featuring rapper Rico Nasty. Throughout the album, the transitions are consistent; never having a song with a bad/mediocre transition is very rare on a 15+ song album from any artist. 

The album begins with Q talking about his life accomplishments and the fame and power he’s received. Then the album leads into a more tough mentality within the first third of the album as proven in the second verse of “Pop” where he states “probably shouldn’t walk where I walk”. This line demonstrates Q’s self-confident attitude as he tells listeners not to try to imitate him (because it can’t be done).

Throughout the second third of the album Q switches the style of his beats, making multiple flow-switches in songs like “Movie” and “Foux”. The whole album has jazz roots in its beat and high-profile collaborators. “BLUE LIPS” as a whole is a very captivating album, with Q’s use of lyricism and jazzy beats, along with gritty lyrics and attitude within the songs, making the album unparalleled.

Similar Album: If you enjoy this album you should listen to Isaiah Rashad’s “The House is Burning” which has a similar vibe with incredible lyricism and a jazzy tone but still has that kick with the verses.