“Servant of Two Masters”: Another Hit by the Drama Department

Servant of Two Masters: Another Hit by the Drama Department
Alec Chvany

The MIHS Drama Department’s production “Servant of Two Masters” is extremely captivating and filled with wit, passion and fourth-wall breaks. The play follows the story of Truffaldino, a hungry servant in Venice who takes up the challenge of serving two masters to double his income, finding love along the way.

The show featured two casts, Cast Zanni and Cast Vecchi. In watching Cast Zanni’s performance, I was thoroughly impressed by the energy of the actors. From Kat Marsh’s performance of Beatrice’s sternness to Jada Jorgensen’s portrayal of princess Clarice’s heartache, the play was so immersive that it felt real. Florindo–one of Truffaldino’s masters played by Damian Neuner–was my favorite supporting character. Void of patience and full of suspicion, Florindo’s adamant questioning created a hilarious dynamic with Truffaldino, who thoughtlessly gave any excuse to play off the mistakes he made while juggling the demands of two masters.

Through the acting of Giovee Roque, Truffaldino received a creative spin. A relatively modern approach was taken for his outfit, featuring a bright blue shirt, clown-style bloomers and a vibrant mask. After the striking first impression from Truffaldino’s eccentric style, I found myself most impressed by the unpredictability of his character. My favorite and least expected scene was watching Truffaldino try to reseal an envelope using bread that he pulled right out of his pocket. Roque added a touch of humor by making his own sound effects while unzipping a suitcase or using a hotel keycard. Each time I thought I had seen it all, there was yet another surprise.

The play further engaged the audience with frequent fourth-wall breaks, with characters covering their mouths to whisper to the audience, a waiter going on a rant and Truffaldino directly asking for advice. I was impressed with the execution, as it can be easy to overuse fourth-wall breaks and ruin the feeling that one is watching a play. Instead, these breaks made the atmosphere all the more playful.

The same engaging atmosphere was deepened through the attention to detail reflected in the props and set design. During a scene at a restaurant in which Truffaldino must bring food to both of his masters without knowing who ordered what, you could see the names of each dish listed on a menu that was only partially in view. Additionally, the characters were never completely idle–those not talking were often performing a subtle action that suited their personality, bringing the characters further to life. An example in this same scene was Florindo attempting to stack all of the plate settings on his table while Truffaldino was bringing food to Beatrice.

Overall, the Drama Department’s “Servant of Two Masters” is a hilarious watch packed full of clever jokes and quality acting. From the elaborate outfits to the vivid backgrounds, the effort put into this play shines through.