Apocalypse in Paris; The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon

IMDb

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” franchise is known for its detachment from the comic series it is based on, created by author Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore. AMC recently released “The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon,” a show centered around a fan favorite character who does not exist in the comics, and Dixon has been welcomed by fans with open arms.

While many think the franchise should have ended years ago, I strongly disagree. Many plot points in the original series get repetitive and I was worried the same would happen within this spin-off, but the new series introduces new perspectives and further develops the worldbuilding. That said, there are one or two returning plot devices that we have seen in the franchise time and time again.

“The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon” introduces the effect of the zombie apocalypse overseas and a whole new cast of characters that quickly won over my heart. The on-screen chemistry between Dixon (Norman Reedus), Isabel (Clémence Poésy) and Laurent (Louis Puech Scigliuzzi) absolutely blew me away. The characters are seamlessly integrated into the story and every production element feels very authentic. 

It is jam-packed with breathtaking visuals, including the Eiffel Tower and the Paris catacombs shot on location, despite the series taking place in a run-down post-apocalyptic world. 

One of the things that keeps the new series so interesting is the introduction of a new walker (zombie) variant, referred to as a brûlant (a burner). The variant poses a larger threat than those of the past due to how little the characters and audience know about them. 

We as an audience are kept in the dark about the antagonists, with little backstory and context, but this opens up a world of potential for their development and place in the series. Codron (Romain Levi) gives an amazing performance but is quickly overshadowed by Genet (Anne Charrier) as the main villain. Her character has such overbearing confidence and the control of her empire stretches overseas to what once was the United States. Charrier’s performance is one of the things I am the most excited to see further developed in the second season. 

The season finale gives us a sneak peek into the possibilities these walkers hold, having developed greater biological threats and how the remaining population is taking advantage of the dead. This is a common theme in another spin-off that was released earlier this year “The Walking Dead: Dead City.” While it is done differently between the two shows, I enjoyed seeing the connection and how the characters have adapted. 

The second season of “Daryl Dixon” is to be released sometime in 2024, with the return of Melissa McBride as Carol Peletier.

View Comments (1)