Paramount Theatre’s “Beetlejuice”: A Lively Take on the Whole Being Dead Thing

Beetlejuice

The Paramount Theatre displayed a lively and comedic production of “Beetlejuice,” a story about life, death and the in-between. Full of amazing humor, an intense musical score and exciting vocals plus multiple new set designs, the show never had a dull moment. 

The show opens with a beautiful ballad about the death of main character Lydia’s mother only to be interrupted by Beetlejuice, a rambunctious spirit, making one of his numerous jokes that had the audience laughing throughout the show. 

All the vocals were great, but Beetlejuice, played by Justin Collete, has the perfect voice for the character, with just the right amount of raspiness and sarcasm. An abundance of emotion and love poured into his part which made the show even more enjoyable. 

As a recent graduate of high school, Isabella Esler (Lydia) made her professional debut in this production of “Beetlejuice.” Her voice control and intense acting are particularly impressive. One of her best scenes in the performance was the moving moment where she reconnects with her father months after her mother had passed away, which left the audience in tears. 

The sets, designed by David Korins, were absolutely spectacular, including three huge separate interior designs for the house, with  unique wallpapers, furniture and paint colors, setting the scene for each character. The house also had tons of sharp and unnatural angles, which gave it an eerie vibe perfectly fitting the musical.

Parents, be aware that there are many inappropriate jokes and raunchy language throughout the production that would not be considered child appropriate, although these elements enhance the show’s humor.

Overall, “Beetlejuice” was a very enjoyable production that is absolutely worth seeing.