Girls Basketball Demolishes Interlake on Senior Night

Sophia Kinkead

The Mercer Island Girls Basketball Team earned a strong Senior Night victory against Interlake on Friday, Jan. 26, maintaining a big lead throughout the game, and eventually winning 75-27. 

This was the last home game for the regular season, making for an energetic crowd, aided by the Drill Team and band’s performance. The team played well, channeling the energy from the crowd into the game. 

“The energy was super high today,” senior captain Caitlin Monahan said. “Everyone was so positive and we were having fun, and it really showed on the court.” 

Monahan got her 1000th career point in the game and also beat the school’s single-game scoring record; she was swarmed by an enthusiastic bench and a roaring crowd when the announcement was made.

“It felt really good. I tied it before and [wanted] to get it [in the] next game, so I’m glad I did it,” Monahan said. 

Senior Night was memorable and heartwarming due to the festivities, with the graduating seniors Caitlin Monahan, Taylor Swendrowski and Mylan Bui joined by their families out on the court. Winning on Senior Night held a lot of importance for this team this season. 

“It felt amazing,” Monahan said “Last year we didn’t win on Senior Night [which] was a little rough so we [had to] get it back [this] year.”

The game was fun to watch with many different plays and shots taken. The team also defended well, causing pressure on the opposing team and creating turnovers that lead to scoring opportunities. 

“We could work on moving the ball better, but overall it was a solid game,” Monahan said. 

Now that the regular season is over, teams will be progressing into state competitions.