Gymnastics Notches Second on Senior Night

Sibella Benninghoff

The Mercer Island Girls Gymnastics team placed second in their Senior Night and final home meet of the season on Jan. 4. They competed against Redmond, Eastlake, Newport, Tyee, Highline and Evergreen. 

Junior Captain Mira Vigileos explained to the crowd that each of the abundant seniors on the team will be missed next year. 

The team is very supportive and would chant each time they watched each other compete in an event. The students who individually placed in the top 10 were junior captain Mira Vigileos, sophomore Maya Moncaster, senior captain Bella Nguyen and senior Claire Jacobs. Jacobs placed first in floor event.

Each team member competed with passion and high energy in their performances, including senior Kat Van Eeden. She did not showcase any flips or handsprings, but the show was aweing for the audience. 

According to Van Eeden, gymnastics is a difficult sport. “It takes a lot of time and effort and a lot of cooperation with the coaches and your other teammates and stuff when it comes to practice,” Van Eeden said.

Van Eeden has been doing gymnastics for two years and is having a lot of fun this year as a senior. “I’m very excited to get all the banners and the posters and stuff that we make for our seniors,” Van Eeden said. “But I’m also sad that I’m leaving. It’s a really fun team.”

In all, the team had a successful Senior Night, with each senior celebrated at the end with a poster and a picture with their family. The meet illuminated how the gymnasts have built a supportive and loving atmosphere for each other.