MIHS Football Loses Against Rival Bellevue

Maddie Gaspers

The Mercer Island Football team took home a 21-56 loss from their rival, the Bellevue Wolverines, last Friday, Sept. 22.

This loss brings the Islanders record to 2-2 this season after the win against the Redmond Mustangs.

“Our defense was not physical enough. When you play a team like Bellevue, the only way to win is to put everything on the line every play, and not everyone on the defensive side of the ball was doing that,” senior captain and running back Cole Krawiec said.

Bellevue received the kickoff, scoring a touchdown on the initial drive. Islanders then received the ball, driving the ball down the field for Krawiec’s touchdown, bringing the score to 7-7.

Bellevue then scored again, bringing the score to 14-7 within three minutes left in the first quarter. The Islanders were unable to get within field goal range, punting to Bellevue at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was a shutout, with Bellevue scoring a whopping 21 points in the second quarter, giving them a substantial lead at halftime.

Mercer Island received the second-half kickoff, making a valiant effort, but eventually had to punt. From that punt to the middle of the fourth quarter, the Wolverines scored another two touchdowns, not allowing the Islanders to get in field goal range.

“Our defense was not physical enough. When you play a team like Bellevue the only way to win is to put everything on the line every play and not everyone on the defensive side of the ball was doing that,” Krawiec said.

With nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, Krawiec ran for a touchdown. However, a missed point after the touchdown caused the score to be 56-13, Bellevue still leading strongly. 

After another Wolverines touchdown, senior Spencer Kornblum completed a 30-yard pass to junior Elan Gotel. The Islanders then completed a pass to junior Ryder Davis resulting in a successful two-point conversion.

“Our run game was actually working very well, and we were able to get consistent yards when we ran the ball,” Krawiec said. “Our expectation for the rest of the season is to win out, and make a playoff run. I fully believe it is possible, and probable that we win every game for the rest of the regular season.”