MIHS Boys Soccer Defeats Lake Washington

Jordan Balousek
MIHS’ goalie moves toward the ball.

The MIHS Boys Soccer team defeated Lake Washington Kangaroos after an intense game, winning in a 2-0 victory on Thursday, Apr. 20.

The match began with MIHS going from defense to slow offense, working their way up through the field with caution.

During the first half, MIHS went back-and-forth going from defense to offense, and had many opportunities with junior Nick Chou getting close to securing a goal, and with senior Kaleb Rawson and sophomore Ben Park getting close as well. At the 20-minute mark, Mathias Perrenoud secured the first goal for the team in a tight position, scoring on a header.

The first half had multiple close goals and sub-ins, ending with Mercer Island up by a score of 1-0.

When the second half started, it was a slow pace for the Islanders. Nevertheless, senior Jackson Barker was almost given a yellow card for speaking profanity to LW but fortunately enough, managed to stay in the game. At the 70-minute mark, momentum slipped when senior Leo Berkley got injured, but walked it off and kept going.

The weather during the match was bad for both sides, however, that didn’t stop Nick Chou from almost getting a goal, nor Jackson Barker saving the day to prevent the opponent’s side from obtaining a goal.

At the 78-minute mark, it was high adrenaline as senior Sam Cadicamo subbed in for Park during the 79-minute mark of the game. During the last second, Perrenound scored the final blow for the Islanders, marking another victory.

“It was a great game, it was close. Everybody played amazing,” Perrenoud said.

Mercer Island will be looking forward to their next match on Tuesday, Apr. 25, at 7:30 p.m., away against Liberty.