MIHS Baseball Defeats Hazen on KingCo League Opener

Tiffany Zhang
A MIHS pitcher prepares to throw the ball.

The MIHS Varsity Baseball team defeated Hazen 6-0 during the Kingco season opener on Wednesday, March 22.

All of the bleachers were full from the amount of fans cheering for the team, while both of the dugouts showed their encouragement for their teammates on the pitch.

Senior Jack Beebe started as pitcher and performed very well by striking out batters, helping the Islanders secure the win.

“We were definitely strong in the field and pitching for sure as they didn’t score any runs,” senior captain Cutter Werdel said. “We could’ve improved a little in the bats.”

The Islanders took the lead in the first inning at 1-0, with the team playing well with each other and Beebe dominating from the mound. The team’s bats were mostly silent, but the team still managed to score using other skills.

“I think what we can work on is just being a little more poised at times and remember we’ve been here and done this a little bit,” head coach Dominic Woody said.

During the sixth inning the Islanders scored a total of three runs with a clutch at bat from junior Russell Nguyen.

With the encouragement from teammates and fans, the Islanders managed to keep Hazen off the scoreboard.

“We have a very veteran ball club, we won a state championship last year and we got six out of nine returning starters,” Woody said.

The Islanders are hoping to repeat as state champs like they did last year, and to look forward to taking games step by step according to coach Woody.

The next game for the Islanders will be at Juanita on Friday, March 24.

View Comments (1)