MIHS Gymnastics Finishes Second on Senior Night

Elsa Zepeda Juárez

The Mercer Island Girls Gymnastics team placed second on their Senior Night on Wednesday, Jan. 11. The meet was between Hazen, Mercer Island, Lindbergh and Interlake, with Hazen earning first place. MIHS senior Sam Sulla was awarded first place overall with 32.050 points, earning a 9.100 on floor and a 8.200 on beam.

The awards ceremony wrapping up the meet included a short moment celebrating the seniors on the team: Stuart Brown, Leila Childs, Sadie Jensen, senior manager Charlotte Farrell and captains Sarah Kann and Sam Sulla.

“It was really sad. I knew what was gonna happen because I’d seen three other senior nights, but it was still really emotional—I think I was the only one that cried,” Childs said. “It was really sweet to see what [everyone] did for the seniors.”

The main gym was decorated with balloons and streamers were hung from the judges’ tables.

“It was kind of unreal, honestly. It was hard to believe that it was happening, because I don’t think of myself as a senior yet—it’s still really new,” said Childs, who has been a part of the gymnastics team since freshman year.

She doesn’t plan to continue gymnastics formally after high school, however, saying: “I probably won’t do a college gymnastics team … I might pursue more dance or cheerleading, just because [gymnastics is] so hard on your body. And it’s really a difficult sport, so as I get older I don’t know if I’m really gonna be able to keep up with everything.”

Despite the fact that she may not continue her gymnastics career post-graduation, Childs still enjoyed her time while a part of MIGGS and being honored as a senior.

“It was a really fun experience; it was really sweet,” she concluded.

The Mercer Island Girls Gymnastics team will next face Inglemoor on Thursday, Jan. 19th.