Mercer Island Girls Volleyball Triumphs Over Hazen on Senior Night

Jordan Balousek

Mercer Island Girls Volleyball defeated Hazen during  Senior Night on Thursday, Oct. 27. 

The game started with a tribute to the seniors of both the Mercer Island and Hazen team. Mercer Island’s underclassmen recited funny, yet sad, poems for their senior teammates and both teams’ seniors were given flowers.

“As much as I’m gonna miss this team, I feel so fulfilled.” MIHS senior and Varsity Captain Leila Obeidat explained after her final home game. “The talent on this team is just like no other year I’ve ever played on varsity.”

Mercer Island led for the first two sets, both with scores of 25-14, but in the third set the score got close, threatening to extend the game to 5 sets. Nonetheless, Mercer Island won the third set 25-21. Hazen’s student section was reasonably crowded considering Hazen is in Renton. 

“Even though [Hazen] had a little bit of a comeback in the third set, we did a really good job shutting them down and finishing our last game, senior night, in 3 [sets].” Obeidat explained post-win. “We can do a better job not letting up when we have more points than the other team and we know we have the game.” 

The Islanders’ next game will be at Lake Washington on Thursday, Nov. 3 at 5:30pm.