MIHS Girls Soccer loses to Bellevue on Senior Night

Kat Van Eeden

The Mercer Island Girls Soccer Team suffered a 4-0 loss during their second game against Bellevue Tuesday, Oct. 25, at the Islanders’ senior night.

The Islanders’ student and parent sections were seen holding signs showing support for their senior players and heard cheering them on.

Bellevue scored their first goal with thirty three minutes left then three more within the first half.

As halftime was fast approaching, seniors along with their family and friends prepared for an emotional senior night.

“[Being on this team has] taught me how to be selfless and [how to be] more inclusive. It has taught me teamwork,” senior Caley Newcomer said. “[This team] is my family.”

Seniors Katie Evans, Maija Brandt, Caley Newcomer, Mia Fischer, Mia Shanafelt, Katie Pedersen, Georgia Samuels, Lila Saloranta and Sammy Moeller were seen on field taking photos with coaches, family, and friends.

“I can not believe that it is coming to an end. It [doesn’t feel] real until it is. It really hit [me] tonight that [this season is] coming to an end. It’s sad but it is also [bittersweet].” Newcomer said.

With both teams being unable to score in the last half, the game came to an emotional end with a score of 4-0.

“[Senior night] just represents how we [as seniors] are all leaving high school and entering the next parts of our lives without each other,” senior Mia Fischer said.“It’s just sad to say goodbye to everyone.”

Mercer Island will be playing against Interlake on  Thursday, Oct. 27, at 7:30pm.