MIHS Girls Swim and Dive defeats Holy Names on Senior Night

Jordan Balousek

The MIHS Girls Swim and Dive team won 121-64 against Holy Names Academy on Tuesday, Oct. 9, extending their eight-meet undefeated streak.

The meet was preceded the night before by a dinner honoring the senior members of the team.

“We sign posters with their names on it [and] nice memories and messages,” said freshman Hope Enge, who placed first in the 200 medley relay. “After the meet, we take a second to honor each one individually, our coach says a little something about each one, and we give them flowers.”

The team was especially enthusiastic for the occasion, applauding whenever someone surfaced after a dive and cheering on teammates swimming races. Enge’s sister, junior Piper Enge, reached Ironwoman status in qualifying for her eighth state event, and sophomore Isabel Peng received a state cut in the 500 freestyle.

Enge identified what they thought contributed to the team’s recent consistent success. “I think we always do a really good job putting in 100% effort and fighting for the win.”

The MIHS Girls’ Swim and Dive Team hopes to continue being victorious in their postseason meets, starting with the KingCo preliminaries on Friday, Oct. 28.