MIHS Girls Volleyball Loses to Lake Washington

Kira Lancaster

On Thursday, Oct. 13, the Mercer Island Girls Volleyball team suffered a 3-0 loss to Lake Washington.

“Lake Washington’s a really good team,” senior captain Leila Obeidat said. “Them and Bellevue are probably the top [teams] in our conference.”

They lost 19-25 in the first set, but picked up their game and had it tied 22-22 in the second set. Unfortunately, Lake Washington won the second 23-25.

Lake Washington holds a league record of 12-4, while the Islanders now have a league record of 5-5. The Islanders have lost to this team before, so they prepared for this game by targeting some of their weaknesses, and although they lost this game as well, they improved significantly through implementing the skills they worked on.

“I think that our defense was really good this game,” Obeidat said. “And our passing was really good, our serve-receive was really good… I just think we did an especially good job on defense during this game.”

While she was impressed with how the team managed their defense throughout the course of the game, there were a few things the team could still improve upon.

“I think closing the block, being in the right spots on defense, and picking up those short balls… would really help us improve,” Obeidat said. “This game [our team] was really focusing on our serve-receive, and I think we executed really well on that.”

The final set ended with Lake Washington winning 23-25 again, but was full of rigorous back and forth action.

The team will play their next game on Wednesday, Oct. 19,a home game against Liberty, at 7:00 p.m.