The Fine Arts Showcase: An Out of This World Visual Arts Takeover

Caroline Capuano
Elementary and middle school art projects are on display in various MIHS hallways.

The Fine Arts Showcase is an annual event for Mercer Island art students, where they get to show off the projects they worked on throughout the year. 

This year the showcase theme is Out of This World and takes place on the Mercer Island High School campus on March 22 and 23, where students can be seen setting up for the big days. 

“It’s seeing the journey that kids take throughout their art career here. [It’s] where [the students] start and where they can expect to end,” art teacher Chantel Torrey said. 

This year’s theme can be taken in many artistic mediums, and the students are excited to showcase the variety of art they have created. 

“We made rings and a couple of bracelets,” jewelry student Laleh Youssefieh said as she worked on her pieces. “I made a set of five rings.”

Torrey clarified on the specific events of the night. “Tuesday night will primarily be the visual arts with some activities put on by the art club,” Torrey said. “The meat of the choir and band performed will be Wednesday night.”

The Fine Arts Showcase is a cherished Mercer Island School District tradition that brings together all ages of the Mercer Island community. Art has been a major coping method for many students through the pandemic— what better way to highlight the bright creative minds of Islander students than through this showcase.