MIHS Boys Swim and Dive Wins Second Consecutive State Title

Photo Courtesy Jeremy Winn

The MIHS Boys Swim and Dive triumphed in their undefeated season, bringing home the 2022 State title on Saturday, Feb. 19. 

With a score of 367.6 points, the team led the second-place team, Lakeside, by 109.5 points.

“The team has worked a long time for that,” senior Jakson Winn said. “We wanted to really make sure that we were finishing off a really high note”

The team overperformed at the meet, exceeding their predictions.

“Going into the meet we were seeded to only win by 27 points,” Winn said. “It was a pretty large surprise when halfway through the meet, we figured out we only really needed to finish our races and not DQ (disqualify) to win.”

This win was a cherry on top of a successful season of learning and team effort. The team went undefeated in the regular and postseason.

“The team felt … on top of the world,” Winn said. “Going into the season, it was new, the sophomores hadn’t experienced a normal season due to COVID-19. We essentially had two groups of freshmen that we had to try and integrate.”

Swimming for the MIHS swim team holds a feeling of team comradery.

“It is completely different from club swimming, which is more about individual times,” Winn said. “It didn’t feel like it was individuals at state, it felt like it was one team at state. We had almost everyone there supporting each other.”

The team is going to take this victory, and look forward to their 2022-2023 season. Most swimmers that competed at state will be returning next year. 

“This year our State team was super strong, we had a couple seniors, but it was mostly juniors and sophomores,” Winn said. “[State] will be closer next year, but it will still be a really good season.”