Boys Swim Remains Undefeated Against Sammamish

Photo by Jordan Balousek

The Mercer Island Boys Swim and Dive Team comfortably defeated Sammamish by a score of 138-37 on Thursday, Dec. 16.

“We won our meet on the 14th… so we went into our meet on the 16th with high spirits,” senior captain Chris Chechitelli said. ”Ending the week with a successful swim meet was a satisfying way to begin winter break.”

Mercer Island easily outnumbered Sammamish in most events, as Sammamish only had nine competing swimmers. Mercer Island also swam uncontested in two of three relay events. 

Despite competing against three Mercer Island divers, Sammamish freshman Rhett Nordberg placed first in the diving category. Other than the diving and the 100-yard-breaststroke competition, Mercer Island swimmers and relay teams won all 10 other events.

With many strong swimmers resting for the upcoming Pacific Northwest Swimming meet, many other swimmers had to step up this meet.

One of these swimmers was Chechitelli, who has earned district cuts in the 200-yard individual medley, 100-yard freestyle, 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard breaststroke so far this season. Chechitelli has also supported the rest of the team as a captain.

“My definition of a successful captain is leading team cheers, upholding team traditions including everyone in team activities, and setting a good example for younger swimmers,” Chechitelli said.

Boys Swim and Dive is having a solid year so far, and hopes to continue on their high trajectory. 

“We are on track to win the State championship, so winning that is another shared goal of the team,” Chechitelli said. “[My] team goal is for everyone to have fun, feel safe and feel included.”

The team will hope to make a strong showing following the holiday break on Tuesday, Jan. 1, with an away meet against Issaquah.