MIHS Girls Swim and Dive Breaks Records at State

Photo Courtesy Jack Sieckhaus

After winning KingCo and placing second in Sea-King District, the Mercer Island Girls Swim and Dive team placed third at the State Championship meet, Saturday, Nov. 13.

Brooke Andrews, Piper Enge, Amelia Han, Isabel Peng and Ava Tang are now all school record holders. The latter four hold the school record in the 400-yard freestyle relay and Andrews holds the record for the six dive meets and eleven dive meets. Enge bested the 3A record for the 200-yard IM and the all-state record for the 100-yard breaststroke. 

“I was surprised how we did at state,” Enge said. “We got third overall, which was really cool because we didn’t know what spot we were going to get until that last relay.”

Enge is the state champion in the 100-yard breaststroke and the 200 IM; Brooke Andrews is the state diving champion. 

“I’m super proud,” Andrews said. “It’s something that I’ll have forever now.”

This was a strong comeback for the team after COVID-19 affected last year’s season. Mercer Island had 14 athletes representing the team at state. 

“After having nothing for a whole year, for the team to have to have so many athletes to go to state was just super exciting,” Andrews said. “Then at state like, all the swimmers did so well and the divers they just- it was really fun to watch, it was really cool.”

The team held a special energy, the support and appreciation embedded in the team culture were evident. 

“It’s like a big family, we are all friends, we all love each other, it’s great,” Andrews said. 

Though the season has ended, the team will take this season’s victories and set new goals for next year. 

“I’m really motivated, because this year went so well and with all of the young freshmen and sophomores that are on the swive team,” Andrews said. “It’s exciting to see them progress and grow because they are all so talented and even the juniors.” 

The team will look to improve next year, and MIHS can expect a solid girls swim and dive team in the 2022-2023 school year.