MIHS Girls Soccer Defeats Hazen On Senior Night

Photo Courtesy David Kris

The MIHS Girls Soccer Team defeated Hazen 3-0 on Senior Night, Thursday, Oct. 21. 

In the beginning of the game, the Islanders dominated offensively. Twelve minutes into the game, senior Leela Jacob scored the Islanders’ first goal. Just five minutes later, senior captain Addie Waterman scored another goal making the score 2-0 going into halftime.

Two minutes into the second half, Katie Pedersen scored a long goal from 30 yards out. The rest of the game was back-and-forth but with no scores, and the game ended 3-0.

“I think we played really solid in the first half by getting two goals, and then securing our win with that third goal in the second half,” senior Mimi Pietila said.

In addition to their offensive success, the Islanders also played really well on defense, giving up no goals.

“A big focus of improvement this season for us has been defending set pieces and corners,” Pietila said. “As a team we struggle with balls out of the air, and that’s where you see a lot of chances for our opponents on goal.”

During halftime, the team announced and honored their seniors. Because of this senior night tradition, there was a larger-than-normal crowd present to cheer on the Islanders.

“I think [the larger crowd] really brought the whole team’s energy up when we needed it,” Pietila said.

The Islanders will look to continue their momentum next game at Liberty, Oct. 26, with hopes to advance in the postseason later in the season.

“Right now we are lined up in 4th place, and the top five move on to playoffs to compete for two places in state,” Pietila said. “We need to keep winning. A better record for us means higher seeding and less games to play to get to state, which is always ideal.”