Pike Place Debate
Pike Place Debate
March 8, 2024

MIHS Girls Basketball Dominates in Home Opener

Mercer Island Girls Basketball dominated against Newport with a score of 59-29 in their first home game of the season, Wednesday, April 21.

“I think that [the game] went really well,” sophomore Caley Newcomer said. “Even though we only had a few fans, it was really fun to be able to play on our home court for the first time in over a year.”

The team excelled in many areas, specifically on defense, as they held Newport to only 29 points. However, the Islanders also found success offensively.

“I think we passed really well,” Newcomer said. “Almost all of our baskets came off of assists, which is really good.”

Even though the team struggled last season, if they continue to play at a high level, they might have a chance to go undefeated. An extended winning streak would start with a victory against Bellevue on Friday, April 23.

“I think if we play like [we did] and keep passing the ball and not trying to force bad passes, I think we will [definitely] beat Bellevue,” Newcomer said. “I hope to keep winning, and [going undefeated] would be awesome, especially coming off of last year where we won almost no games.”

Even if the team does not remain completely undefeated, a 3-0 start to the season is definitely a reason for the team to be excited going forward.