Mercer Island Boys Soccer Makes a Comeback

Alex Platou takes posession in the varsity team’s previous game against Bellevue. Photo courtesy Jaden Krauser.

Mercer Island Boys Soccer fought hard on Friday March 15 against Newport, ending the game in a 2-2 tie after being down 2-0 in the first half.

At the beginning of the game Newport started off strong, scoring from the 20 yard line, catching senior goalie Blake Robertson off guard.

With three minutes left in the first half, the Newport Knights almost put another point on the board after a free kick. However, Robertson saved the kick and a rebound after the initial shot.

Unfortunately, the Nights scored one minute after Robertson’s saves when one player dribbled around the defensive line and slid a pass right past Robertson.

Mercer Island put one on the board with 20 minutes left in the game after Matt Capone dribbled down the field and placed a simple pass to Alex Kaczor, making the game 1-2.

With 10 minutes left in the game, the Knights had a quick transition and senior Adam Braman’s great save kept the Islanders in the game.

With one minute left, Capone tied up the game when he dribbled through open space, passing the ball right past Newport’s goalie.

Mercer Island Boys Soccer is now 2-0-1 and will proceed to play Juanita on Tuesday March 19 at 7:30 pm.