MIHS Programs Win Broadcasting Awards

MIHS.tv

In early March, MIHS.tv and KMIH-88.9 traveled to New York City for the Intercollegiate Broadcasting Systems awards conference.

MIHS.tv’s “The Current” took home an award in the Best Newscast category. In addition, MIHS.tv advisor Michael Ketchum was honored with the Jeff Tellis Outstanding Advisor Award in Television.

“[Winning these awards] validates that we are teaching some really great hands-on media skills, and we’re getting recognized on a national level,” 88.9 ‘The Bridge’ Advisor Joe Bryant said. “But what’s really important is that students are using their voice to tell stories that they can use best of all, and they’re learning the art of storytelling and they are getting some nice stuff to put on their college applications.”

KMIH-88.9 was honored with awards in eight categories, as follows:

• Hayley Nguyen won Best News Feature for a feature she did on a Hollywood writer during the Writers Guild strike last year;
  • Grace Go and Luke Gollin won Best Political News, Best Campus/Community News and Best Public Affairs Program for various programs they did;
  • Will Prock and Nova Shiers won Best Specialty Show for their “On This Day in History” feature.
  • Elise McDonald won Best Documentary for her feature on the design of the Space Needle.
  • Ellie Sadlier won Best Station Manager;
  • The Seafair Team won Best Social Media Campaign for their coverage of Seafair weekend, notably the hydroplane races and airshow.

These awards highlight the success of both KMIH 88.9 The Bridge and MIHS.TV over the past school year, and the school community is excited to see where they end up in the future.

View Comments (1)