MIHS Boys Soccer Defeats Interlake, Qualifies For State

Jordan Balousek

After Thursday’s victory, the Islanders will advance to State.

Jordan Balousek, Staff Writer

The MIHS Boys Soccer team defeated the Interlake Saints in a 3-1 victory to advance to the State competition. 

The Islanders came into this match with a split record versus Interlake, with their first competition ending in a 2-0 loss and the second match a 4-2 victory.

This victory was a win-or-go-home match, as the Islanders lost Tuesday night’s game against the Hazen Highlanders which provided their first chance to qualify for State. 

The game boasted a large crowd, and started out aggressive and fast-paced. The Islanders looked dominant, although chances to score came from both teams. However, the game remained scoreless until a minute before halftime, when sophomore Woody Brown scored off a throw-in from senior captain Hawkins Sanborn after some chaos in front of the net.

Jordan Balousek

“I think we moved the ball well, and we were able to break their lines a couple times,” senior Remy Frederick said. “[We] put the ball in the back of the net.” 

The second half maintained the pace of the first, with a little bit of a slower intensity. Much of the second half featured little possession, and instead consisted of multiple headers and long balls. 

However, a penalty kick 10 minutes in by Interlake senior Adrian Moreno evened the game up at one goal apiece. Four minutes after that, Sanborn had a clear shot at net after a tackle on the Interlake goalie. 

Around the halfway point of the second, Interlake threatened to tie the game up with a strong shot, but junior goalkeeper Jackson Barker hit the ball out for a corner instead. With fifteen minutes remaining in the game, senior captain Brady Gilroy scored another goal for the Islanders to seal the goal and give the Islanders the 3-1 victory.

“[The] mindset is [to] keep this train running, and look for another [victory],” Frederick said.

The MIHS Boys Soccer team will look to continue on with their winning ways in the upcoming State Championship, for which the schedule has not yet been announced.