Boys Soccer Defeats Liberty 2-1 at Home

Boys Soccer Defeats Liberty 2-1 at Home
Ilan Dondisch

Tuesday, April 23, Mercer Island Boys Soccer faced Liberty and triumphed over them 2-1 in a defense-dominant match. 

Liberty scored the first goal early in the first half and kept that lead for a while, with both teams going back and forth with shots before junior Charlie Frink assisted senior captain J.P. Headrick for a goal for Mercer Island. Then, later in the second half of the game, junior Ben Park assisted junior Cole Nicholson for another goal to take the lead and win. 

Overall, Mercer Island showcased an impressive offense throughout the game by having control of the ball for the majority of the game.  

Islanders senior captain Woody Brown believes practice and teamwork are necessary to maintain team motivation.

“I would say it starts at practice, during warmups, and in the locker room,” Brown said.  “Honestly, some players take a few more minutes to warm up and you might need people around you to pick you up but that’s what teammates are for.” 

Senior Captain Woody Brown reflected on what sets this year’s team apart and the end-season goal. 

“We have a lot of seniors, we have a lot of experience on what high school soccer is about and what it takes to win a game. So I think using that to our advantage for this stretch of the season will definitely help us, and the goal for the season is to make it to the KingCo championships and win.”

The Islanders Boys Soccer Team will next play Tuesday, April 30 at Bellevue at 8 p.m.