Restaurant Recommendations in the Seattle Area

1. Paik’s Noodle

Located just 15 minutes away from the island, near the Bellevue Chick-fil-A, Paik’s Noodle serves delicious classic Korean Chinese cuisine. Their menu highlights the savory black bean noodle dish Jjajangmyeon, the spicy seafood noodle soup Jjamppong and the crunchy fried pork Tangsuyuk, served with a side of jelly-like sweet and sour dipping sauce. The menu also offers variations on the two noodle dishes, offering them with different ingredients, such as with rice instead of noodles or just the sauce/soup. The restaurant is often crowded on weekends, but it is well worth the wait. The restaurant’s staff are very accommodating to customers’ needs. I recommend bringing at least two people with you to this spot because you will definitely want to at least share the three main classics. The crispy pork with sweet and sour sauce perfectly pairs with the two noodle dishes, the jjamppong quenches cravings for spice and the rich jjajang sauce is exquisitely cut by the spicy soup and the acidic pickled radish that comes on the side of the dish. The pricing is very reasonable; each time I’ve gone, I’ve spent around $15 (tax and tip included) and left feeling satisfied. If you and your friends are struggling to find a bite on a budget, go to Paik’s Noodle. It’s the perfect place for a cheap sit-down feast.

2. Kobuta & Ookami 

Kobuta & Ookami is a Japanese restaurant that specializes in katsu dishes. The menu allows you to choose your preferred meat, including shrimp, chicken and five varieties of pork. The small joint, located between the Central District and Capitol Hill, went viral on social media for its cozy vibe and incredible food. The katsu is perfectly thick with a crispy outer layer. The flaky breading along with the soup, sauce or curry that you chose to enjoy it with are adequately balanced with the side of housemade pickles and thinly shredded cabbage, giving new life to your average fried katsu and rice. The presentation of the dishes is also impressive, with everything carefully placed on the plate to enhance your dining experience. The prices are a bit on the high end, but definitely not unfair for the value of the meal you receive. The restaurant does not take reservations and the wait can be excruciatingly long (but well worth the wait), so I recommend taking that into consideration when planning the outing.

3. Ciudad

A short walk from one of my past restaurant recommendations, Fonda La Catrina, Ciudad is a small bar and grill that specializes in meats and vegetables cooked over a charcoal grill. The restaurant has a very unique atmosphere that is modern and colorful, making the dining experience even more enjoyable. The vibrant menu is influenced by the cuisines of Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Greece and the Mediterranean region. Everything that I have had on the menu has been delicious; the meats are flavorful and the sauces and dips that you can choose to accompany them make your bites even better. I definitely recommend this restaurant if your family or larger group is looking for a nice dinner out because you will want to maximize your menu options—like Paik’s Noodle, sharing is a must. Meat is ordered by the pound so when I go with a group, we usually pick at least three different types, getting half a pound of each. The octopus and shrimp are undoubtedly my favorite options, both cooked perfectly with light char on the outside, but the chicken and steak are also outstanding if you dislike seafood. I cannot fail to mention the lamp riblet starter, its lamb coated in harissa barbecue sauce and drizzled with creamy labneh, a soft middle eastern cheese made from yogurt. The lamb is also served with herbs and pickles that balance the fat of the lamb and spice of the sauce. I have focused quite a lot on the meat options but the restaurant also offers a bunch of vegetarian-friendly dishes including their harissa roasted carrots, seared halloumi, patatas bravas and flatbread with dips, all of which I can confirm are delicious. This restaurant offers an incredible environment alongside phenomenal food and is well worth a try.

4. That’s Amore Italian Cafe

That’s Amore is located on the edge of Seattle’s Mount Baker neighborhood, offering an incredible view of the city. The restaurant has served the hungry residents of Mount Baker for over 20 years, frequently giving back to the community by launching donation campaigns for local charities and donating to the Northwest African American Museum. This is all to say that this restaurant has a great communal atmosphere, with super friendly and welcoming staff. I don’t think you can go wrong with the menu because everything is so delicious. I particularly like the fungo davi and risotto cakes starters along with the pappardelle main dish. Compared to my other recommendations, the price is a little bit higher, but you truly receive the quality of food, service and atmosphere that you pay for, and even more so if you go during a sunset. This restaurant is a perfect place for a fancy night out with a small group of friends or family and will leave you eager to make your next reservation.