MIHS Boys Soccer Defeats Silas High

MIHS Boys Soccer Defeats Silas High
Jayce Madamba

The MIHS Boys Soccer team receives another win against Silas High School, winning in a 1-0 victory after a close second half on Tuesday, March 12.

This was the second game of their season after their 3-0 victory over Chief Sealth last Friday.

“It was a pretty good game. We won 1 to 0,” junior Ben Park said. “Got that last score towards the end. I’m happy with the results and the team performance.”

The match began with Mercer Island going from offense to defense as Silas players passed the ball to each other without being tackled at the two-minute mark, getting closer to their net.

At the 10-minute mark, sophomore Mathias Perrenoud passed the ball to junior Charlie Fink, but failed to get close to the net. This was soon followed by Park passing to senior Julian Peters before being tackled by Silas defenders.

Silas was close to scoring, but not before junior Zack Geisner made a quick save by tackling them to get the ball out of bounds.

With the match going smoothly, disaster struck when one of each team’s players collided with one of the assistant referees on the field. Fortunately, the referee didn’t receive any major injuries and stayed in the game.

At the 17-minute mark, junior Cole Nicholson was passing throughout the field, immediately scoring the first goal; however, it was canceled when the referee noticed one of the Silas players critically injured during the play. Therefore, this resulted in a no goal for the Islanders. 

The first half consisted of multiple passes, free kicks and saves, ending with a tie of 0-0. 

After halftime ended, seniors Oliver Bellin and Kaya Gazioglu subbed in for senior captain Woody Brown and junior Kai Parker.

At the 80-minute mark, Park scored his first goal of the season, boosting the morale for the Islanders as the score was no longer tied. That goal took off the stress of the team since they no longer needed to worry about losing. 

The game ended with a score of 1-0, obtaining a victory for the Islanders. 

“Thanks to Charlie for the assist, you know,” Park said. “The one, two led to the assist and I’m just [proud] with the score and how the team celebrated together.”

Their next match will be against Interlake this Thursday, March 14, at 7:30 p.m.