Super Bowl LVIII Review

Super Bowl LVIII Review
Eric Gay

The stars were out this weekend in Las Vegas, NV for America’s biggest spectacle. Super Bowl LVIII saw a game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the bay area San Francisco 49ers. The Chiefs took home the silverware with an overtime walk-off touchdown pass to receiver Mecole Hardman Jr. to win the game, 25-22. 

It was a defensive slugfest for the first three quarters, each defense shutting down the other’s offense, resulting in many punts and field goals. A total of 13 points were scored in the first half compared to a total of 34 in the second half (including overtime), with kickers Jake Moody and Harrison Butker kicking for a combined 49% of the total points scored. They went 7-7 on field goals, and the longest one was a Super Bowl record 57-yarder by Butker.

At times it seemed the 49ers would win the game, with an exciting opening drive that saw Christian McCaffery absolutely pound the ball up the field, until he fumbled on the Chiefs 27-yard line. From then on in the first quarter it seemed to be anyone’s game, with neither team scoring in the first quarter.

In the second quarter the game seemed to be in the 49ers’ hands with them scoring 10 unanswered points to the Chiefs mere field goal at the end of the half. 

To open the second half, the Chiefs came out with something to prove, but they did not prove anything with Patrick Mahomes throwing a rare but ugly interception. It then seemed certain that the 49ers would have the championship game in the bag, but as usual, they choked. They lost all of their momentum that they gained from the interception and went three and out for the next three drives and let the Chiefs score 10 on them to make it 13-10 in favor of the Chiefs.

To start the fourth quarter, the 49ers came out hot and took the lead, from a touchdown pass from Brock Purdy to receiver Jauan Jennings. However, Moody’s PAT attempt was blocked by the Chiefs defense, making the 49ers’ lead within one field goal. The very next drive, the Chiefs came out and put up a fight to tie the game at 16 – 16. It seemed to be anyone’s game at this point but Purdy had other ideas, by scoring a field goal and bringing the game clock down to a minute and 54 seconds. If the 49ers defense could stuff the Chiefs offense and get a turnover on downs they would end the game. Mahomes didn’t let that happen, though. He came out like a man on a mission to save the world, and drove the Chiefs down to the 49ers 15-yard line. With ten seconds left on the game clock, however, he threw an unsuccessful pass, and kicked a field goal to go into overtime.

Overtime started off with the 49ers making the wrong decision to receive the ball first, clearly forgetting the new overtime rules. Things did start off well even with the bad decision, with them stomping down the field to get within the 10-yard line, only to score a field goal. The Chiefs started off slow as a snail, almost going three and out, only for their savior Mahomes to convert on a QB rush on a 4th & 1. They then drove down the field, and scored a walk-off touchdown from Mahomes to receiver Mecole Hardman. 

Overall, the game was one to remember for its incredible kicking and amazing defensive play from both sides. We learned two major things from this game, 1. Patrick Mahomes is undoubtedly the most clutch QB in the league, and 2. the Chiefs truly are a dynasty now.