Girls Basketball Defeats Hazen at Home

Girls Basketball Defeats Hazen at Home
Kai Bergman

On Wednesday, Jan. 17, the Mercer Island Girls Basketball team beat the Hazen Highlanders with a final score of 60-48. This improves the Islanders record to 6-2 in the competitive 3A KingCo Conference.

“Our defensive adjustments won us the game tonight. We made a lot of adjustments on the defensive side. The girls did a really good job, they locked in on that end,” Head Coach Martin Anderson said.

Both teams had similar scores until halftime, where the Islanders led 35-25. Senior Caitlin Monahan and freshman Elianna Weiss led the Islanders’ performance with a combined 33 points.

The Islanders are currently second in 3A KingCo behind the Lake Washington Kangaroos.

“We want to win the league. That’s always the goal. The thing about this group is it’s not a lie. We’re the team that can do it, we’re in a position to do it,” Anderson said. “When they buy in and do what they’re supposed to do and believe in each other and work together, they can do it.”

As the team sets its sights on the future, Anderson emphasizes the importance of ball movement. 

“The ball has got to move as much as possible–when we move the ball and we’re using all of our weapons, that’s when things go well for us,” Anderson said.

The Islanders Girls Basketball team will next face off against rival Bellevue next Monday, Jan. 22, at 7:15 p.m.