Girls Basketball Extends Winning Streak Against Jackson

Mercer Island Girls Basketball
Anna Marsh dribbles in for a shot.

The MIHS Girls Basketball team won against the Jackson Timberwolves on Monday, Dec. 11, with a final score of 74-48. The game was the fifth win of the season as well as their fifth game.

Jackson was the first school MIHS faced that had previously held a winning streak, making for an exciting match. Both teams were fast and tenacious, tipping the score back and forth in the first quarter until it settled out in the second and the point differential began to widen in MIHS’ favor.

The game featured memorable performances from both sides, particularly the captains and freshman Elianna Weiss, as well as Jackson senior captain Giselle Dogan.

MIHS junior captain Anna Marsh identified communication as a key factor that contributed to the win. “If we get communication, then the game starts flowing and we start moving and we start passing, and we work the ball really well,” Marsh said.

“We talked a lot on defense as well, which helped a lot,” MIHS senior captain Caitlin Monahan said.

The captains also noted how swapping fresh players into the game benefited them. “They just brought a lot of energy [and] some really great plays, and I love seeing them score and play hard and hustle,” Monahan said.

In the future, they are hoping to improve on their rebounds. “That’s like our one main thing,” Marsh said. “We’re small, we’re guard-heavy a lot. We have to get the rebound box out really hard and push because we’re fast.”

The team has ambitious goals as they look forward to the rest of the season. “We’re looking forward to competing,” Monahan said. “Hopefully making it far; [we’ll] keep working hard.”

Don’t miss the MIHS Girls Basketball team as they shoot for their next consecutive win against Liberty today at 6:30 p.m.