MIHS Boys Lacrosse Dominates In Northwest Invitational

Abby Weiss

MIHS Boys Lacrosse triumphed 6-4 over Nevada’s Bishop Gorman on Friday, April 1.

Over the weekend, Mercer Island hosted the Northwest Invitational, a high-level lacrosse tournament for teams in the Pacific Northwest.

This successful matchup against the Nevada team marks the Islanders’ 4th win of the regular season as a view of the playoffs becomes clearer.

“We’re sitting at number one in the state across all divisions, across private teams, and across 3A and 4A, so we’re really in a great spot right now,” junior Callum Neher said. “We had one really close loss in overtime and we’ve been playing super well other than that.”

A standout performance from the defense as a whole led to the team only letting in four goals.

“Defense had a really good game. Eli Swerland as usual was lights out in the goal, he was doing great,” Neher said, “and in the second half we were a lot more cohesive when we were running our systems and working together.”

The combination of teamwork on the field, their strong defense and a rowdy crowd brought the whole game together in the second half. 

“It’s just good to see all those committed fans out there supporting us because it just gives us energy late in the game, in the stretch, fourth quarter, it really gives us that extra push,” Neher said. 

MIHS Boys Lacrosse also won their game against Nanaimo on Saturday, April 2, as a part of the Northwest Invitational, and will face off against Seattle Prep on Tuesday, April 5.