Longtime Teacher and Coach Erica Hill Returns to MIHS in Administrative Role

Photo by Alex Levin

After spending four years at Inglemoor High School, longtime English teacher and cross country coach Erica Hill has returned to Mercer Island High School as an associate principal.

Hill began her tenure at Mercer Island as an assistant cross country coach in 1996. She then taught as a parapro, a student teacher, and an English teacher after getting her master’s degree in teaching. 

While at MIHS, Hill proceeded to receive a certificate in administration, and interned under former principal Vicky Puckett before taking an administrative job at Inglemoor in 2017.

“I really feel like Mercer Island is where my educational roots were planted as a teacher and a coach,” Hill said. “With all of the connections and relationships [I’ve] built with staff, students and family over the years, I know what a special place Mercer Island is.”

Hill did not initially plan on leaving MIHS, but a lack of vacant administrative positions prompted her to take a position at Inglemoor School District. However, her four-year hiatus from Mercer Island has put her in an excellent position to succeed as a principal.

“In hindsight, I think it was really good that I had the opportunity to go to a different district and… have four years of experience as an administrator before coming back to [MIHS],” Hill said.

In her new role as an associate principal, Hill plans to put an emphasis on making sure every student has an equitable high school experience. To do so, Hill will rely on her previous teaching experiences on Mercer Island.

“I think that [MIHS] is a very unique place in the sense that students put a lot of pressure on themselves,” Hill said. “My hope is to really take my understanding, having worked in the school and the district for so many years, and think about how I can help students work through some of these challenges.”

Along with Hill’s rich understanding of MIHS students over the years, her outgoing personality is sure to help her along the way.

“[Hill is] one of my favorite people in the world,” history teacher Dino Annest said. “She’s not just the happiest, but she spreads happiness, and you can’t help but smile when she comes into the room.”

While Hill will not resume coaching cross country, she guarantees to remain a strong supporter of the team.

“Running has always been a huge part of me and will continue to be, and I feel so lucky that I have had the opportunity to coach,” Hill said. “I know that the team has been under great leadership and I’ll always be a huge fan of everything MIXC.”

Even though her role at the school has changed, Hill will continue to build relationships with students and spread her positivity throughout the MIHS community.