Mercer Island Farmers Market: Booth Reviews

Graphic by Lena Hardisty

The Mercer Island Farmers Market has been bringing the community together since 2008. Since then, the Market has an average of 2,500 visitors per market day, and over 45,000 visitors per season. In 2009, the organization Aljoya stepped in as the presenting sponsor, and has remained the Market’s premiere sponsor ever since.

The market is home to booths for local vendors, community volunteer groups and nonprofit organizations. Live music floats through the air, accompanied by the scents of a wide variety of foods. 

Here’s a review of some of the booths to grab a bite at during your stop at the MIFM.

Zylerbershcten’s Delicatessen and Bakery

Marionberry Cream Cheese Danish

Rating: 9/10

Zylerbershcten’s manager, Evan Ritter, noted that the widespread appeal for his booth goes far beyond the food itself. “You get more than just the product,” Ritter said. “You’re connecting to the community.”  Zylerbershcten’s brings a variety of baked goods to the MIFM, from classic croissants to Marionberry Cream Cheese Danishes, which is the first thing I tried. The danish was very satisfying.The cream cheese balanced out the cut of the marionberry. The price was a bit steep at $5, but other than that, heaven on earth. 

Taco’bout’it

Houston, We Have A Taco 

Rating: 10/10

Comments: In my humble opinion, sometimes the simplest dishes done well can be the absolute best. This taco was a perfect example. It was really quite hard to stop eating after the first bite. The combination of fresh, gooey cheese over scrambled eggs and bacon created a unique, surprisingly tasty texture. As soon as I had finished I wanted another one. I highly recommend checking them out next time you visit the Market. One taco is $5. 

Bluebird Ice Cream

Vanilla Bean

Rating: 7/10

I figured that the best way to test ice cream quality was to decide how well they could pull off basic vanilla. To no surprise, Bluebird’s tasted like vanilla ice cream. But still, it had some elements to make it different from your standard fare. Real flecks of vanilla bean and the stretchy quality of the dessert made it a fun afternoon treat.

Hot Dame!

Flagship Red Sauce, Noble Green Sauce and Pepper Cocktail Shrub

Rating: 7/10

This is Hot Dame!’s first year at the MIFM, currently with only a few products. I don’t like hot sauce (at all), but I bought the Flagship just after having a sample. There’s actual flavor to the pepper, and it adds an exciting element to dishes without being overpowering. That being said, while I enjoyed the first two sauces, the Pepper Cocktail Shrub was not my cup of tea. I found it a bit too strange and overwhelming. The sauces and shrubs are each $7 per bottle.