MIHS Should Switch to Posting Grades on Schoology

Ashwin Krishnaswamy

Where should teachers post grades? It seems that this has been an everlasting question for MIHS. Currently, MIHS is using Skyward to post grades on, which is decent, however, inefficient in many ways. MIHS should switch to Schoology for posting grades.

One advantage to using Schoology is that you’re already going into the app every day to check on classes and assignments, whereas checking Skyward is difficult to remember to do often.

MIHS history teacher Ed Puchalla doesn’t have a preferred grade book, however he still liked the information from the old skyward linked with the efficiency of Schoology, as he stated:

“The old Skyward (as opposed to Qmlativ) was a superior gradebook for a number of reasons, it was easier for me to use as a teacher, it gave me more information … I think the idea of posting everything to Schoology, the wisdom of that is still debatable for some teachers … I’d like to see how this year plays out and then re-evaluate the merits of both Schoology and Qmlativ,” history teacher Ed Puchalla said.

Schoology is much more user-friendly and simpler to use, which is very convenient when it comes to incoming freshmen and parents. Unlike Skyward, with Schoology you don’t have to reset your password every year just to use the actual application. 

Skyward itself does have some great benefits, including the multiple options of tabs to check, some of them being your community service hours, your schedule, lunch menu and grading. Although this is nice to have all in one app, it’s also counterproductive because it’s not all in the same interface, which just wastes more time for the students.

MIHS should switch to posting all grades and GPA on Schoology instead of Skyward for a more reliable and time-efficient way to check your grades.