By Isabel Funk and Hannah Whobrey
- Leading up to Homecoming on Saturday, October 6, MIHS students participated in a “Decades” themed spirit week, based on the dance theme, “Blast From the Past.”
- The week concluded with the Homecoming assembly, the parade and the Homecoming game on Friday, October 5.
- The themes were:
- Monday: Tie Dye (70s)
- Tuesday: Neon/Color Wars (80s)
- Wednesday: Denim (90s)
- Thursday: #TBT Middle School (2000s)
- Friday: Maroon and White
- Official class rankings were released for the Class of 2019 on Tuesday, October 2. Rankings are available in the Counseling Center from Edith Salvador-Lopez and are out of 413.
- The nominees for the Homecoming court were announced on Tuesday, October 2 during seventh period. The court is gender-neutral this year.
- The second round of voting occurred during BRIDGES on Wednesday, October 3. Winners were announced on Friday, October 5 at the Homecoming assembly.
- MIHS Football has a winning streak this year – the team has yet to lose a game. Their record is 6-0 in wins to losses.
- Six students and two directors from the Banda Escolar de Guayanilla program in Puerto Rico arrived on Wednesday night. The MIHS Band will partner with BEG in the Tournament of Roses in Pasadena, California this January.
- Candace Faber, a Seattle woman accused Senator Joe Fain of raping her in 2007 after a party.
- This November, Washington citizens will vote on a ballot initiative that would put a price on carbon emissions in an attempt to help reduce Washington’s impact on climate change.
- On Friday, October 5, the Senate voted 51-49 in favor of advancing the Brett Kavanaugh hearing to an official confirmation vote.